How to Prepare Sage 50 Files for Import
The minimum changes that we would recommend for all Sage users are detailed in the first half of the video. Those are:
- Disable split view and enable Grid LinesThis is recommended mainly for better visibility.
- Add month / year heading and delete top datesThe top of every column of numbers should have a heading that contains the month and year. The format is flexible, but we recommend just using MMM YYYY, e.g. Feb 2014.
- Convert all formulae to valuesUsing copy >> paste values, we convert all embedded formulas in any data cells into normal, static numbers. This is necessary for the next round of copy-pasting we do.
- Merge two columns into one
Using copy >> paste special (skip blanks), we consolidate the values from two columns into just one.
- Remove auto-generated document footer
Unmerge and delete this cell, as it might interfere with proper parsing.
- Delete extra leftover column
After step #4 we have an extra column -- this can now be deleted.
Recommended additional changes:
Doing these extra steps will make your imports easier to handle, and ensure that CFO Scoreboard can parse them better:
- Add extra columns and resize
We'll need several more columns between the account names and the numeric values, in to which we will move our hierarchy.
- Indent sub-accounts into next column
By using quick clicks and Ctrl-X >> Ctrl-V, we quickly indent out each level of our chart of accounts hierarchy into the next column(s) to the right.